Carney takes jab at Trump after teleprompter goes down
International
Carney takes jab at Trump after teleprompter goes down
Comments:
by Tara Suter - 05/20/26 9:23 PM ET
Comments:
Link copied
by Tara Suter - 05/20/26 9:23 PM ET
Comments:
Link copied
NOW PLAYING
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney on Wednesday made a joke referencing criticism from President Trump over a teleprompter issue at the United Nations (UN) last year.
During an event for the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade on Wednesday, Carney was delivering a speech when he noted a teleprompter issue.
“Happens, it happens,” he said, laughing. “I’m not going to go into the — I’m not going to say who I — you know what, there’s a teleprompter joke I could tell about a conspiracy theory, but I think I, it’s probably not —.”
Last September, Trump went after the UN over escalator and teleprompter malfunctions at the New York headquarters, saying that “bad” features are all he got from the international organization.
The president started remarks at the time to the General Assembly by noting that he would be talking without a teleprompter because it was broken.
“I don’t mind making this speech without a teleprompter, because the teleprompter is not working,” Trump said previously. “I feel very happy to be up here with you, nevertheless, and that way you speak more from the heart.”
“I can only say that whoever is operating this teleprompter is in big trouble,” he added.
Trump later called on the UN to investigate what he said was “triple sabotage” after the escalator mishap, teleprompter issue and audio issues amid his trip to the General Assembly meeting.
“A REAL DISGRACE took place at the United Nations yesterday — Not one, not two, but three very sinister events!” Trump posted on Truth Social.
The Hill has reached out to the White House for comment.
Add as preferred source on Google
Tags
Canada
Donald Trump
Mark Carney
teleprompter
Trump teleprompter
UN
Copyright 2026 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Comments:
Link copied
More International News
See All
International
Ebola fears surge on the ground in Congo over rapid spread of a rare type
by JUSTIN KABUMBA and MONIKA PRONCZUK, Associated Press
11 minutes ago
International
/
11 minutes ago